Donkey Derby - 8th/9th August 2015
A visit to the Folkestone Lions Donkey Derby on Radnor Park, Folkestone, every second Saturday in August, has become a traditional free day out for families struggling to keep their kids occupied during the school holidays.
This exciting event is, in fact, a whole programme of activities rolled into one, spread over two days and set against the spectacular backdrop of the Channel Tunnel terminal and the rolling downs beyond.
The derby is one of the major fund-raising event that enables the Folkestone Lions club to continue its financial support of local charities and organisations.
- The Donkey Derby & Tote
- A vintage car show
- An enormous boot fair
- A fun fair and children's amusements
- Donkey rides for the kids
- A wide range of refreshments available for "Derby-diners" to eat "on the hoof"
- Exhibitions by local community groups
- The fun fair keeps going ‘til late
- The "booters" return for a second day of bargains
- The fun fair just keeps on turning
Easy access from junction 13 on the M20 (plenty of parking), Folkestone Central station just across the road and bus stops on the edge of the park.
If the Donkey Derby isn't enough to wear your kids out, other local attractions include:
Within a two minute walk:
- Swimming, skiing and tobogganing (all-year artificial slopes) in the leisure centre (click for details).
Within a ten-minute car/bus ride
- The Sunny Sands Beach (click for picture)
- The Coastal Park and Adventure Playground (click for details)
- The secluded harbour with its ancient fish-market and modern fishing fleet (click for picture)
- The picturesque "Leas" promenade, giving unrivalled views across the Channel to France
- Retail parks and town-centre precincts (with Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury and Morrison superstores) so that you can do your before the event or before you go home.